Saturday, May 1, 2010

Strollers, Strollers, Strollers...

I don't know how I did it, but I now own 3 strollers! From the moment I found out I was pregnant, it became the hardest task to find the perfect stroller. I had conditions that had to be met.

1. Face me when Brianlily was a newborn.
2. Have a good recline.
3. Be super light.
4. Be sturdy.

I would have loved to have had a Bugaboo from the start, but who the hell had that kind of money. So I oped for a Graco Safe Seat car seat with the SnugRider stroller, and knew that once she was older we would get something light like a Maclaren. The car seat idea was great, even though we didn't own a car! lol It was nice to have her upright when she was so little, snug like a bug, super huge storage, and facing me.



It wasn't until she was about 3 months that I purchased her Maclaren Quest. I got a great deal on it because it was a model from the year before; think I paid $140 or so. It was the best model for my needs. Three positions, light enough to lug up and down the subway stairs, and compact enough to take on the bus. The only problem was the super small canopy, but I solved that with this amazing shade by Kiddopotamus. I cannot, cannot live without this shade. Another thing you'll have to do without is storage space. I purchased an organizer like this one to help, and always used the handles for holding bags (just be super careful about weight distribution...the stroller falls back super easily). The Quest did a great job for us, and I still use it on the days that we'll be taking a bus because it's so compact.




My sister purchased the Maclaren Techno XLR once Trevor was born. This model could be used from birth, unlike the Quest. It's wayyyy bigger than the Quest and heavier. It does however have a pretty close to flat recline and a little bigger storage, but it's pretty much the same stroller just wider and taller. One thing I did notice that was super different was the seat position. On the Quest Brianlilly's bottom rested farther back than in the Techno. She almost looked like she was sitting outside of the stroller. I'd rather have her snug sitting farther back, but my sister LOVES her stroller. The problem she's had with it all along (and still does) is the weight. She's still in New York City, and finds it impossible to carry up and down the subway stairs. Not to mention that fact that Trevor is a biggg boy! She's now thinking about buying a Quest! HA!



Once we moved to Portland, I realized I could now have a big old caddy of a stroller. Brianlily was bigger and needed more room, so I started my search. I wasn't concerned about purchasing it new, so I headed straight to Craigslist! I came across a stroller that I loved from the first days of searching for strollers, Bumbleride. It had everything that I wanted. A woman was selling the Bumbleride Flyer for $100!!! I jumped on it and couldn't be happier with it! It's big, but not huge, it's comfy, reclines completely flat, has a big storage basket, easy to push and turn, and just lovely! My model is older, maybe a 2004? It didn't have a rain cover, but I just used the rain cover I had for the car seat stroller, all I had to do was alter it a bit. I cut a foot long piece off the backside, and hot glued it to the foot area to give it more length so it would cover her feet. Since it's wider and longer, it actually gives her more leg room when the cover is on so that it's not right on her legs. The handle bar is great for carrying bags with this carabiner hook from Home Depot. Babiesrus sells The Mommy Hook for $7.99! Insane...it's the same thing! I'm so in love with this stroller!




Those are my 3 strollers, and I'm sticking to it! I just wonder what I'll do when baby number two comes around...one day!

No comments: