Friday, September 24, 2010

My first attempt at Zucchini Bread!

It as on my list of things to make for the kids, but I've never actually had it before so I was super shocked when I looked at the reciepe...it's sweet!? Cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar??? I seriously had no idea. I liked the recipe I found (again, not sure where I got it from...I know, I have to be better about sources!) but it called for 3 freaking cups of sugar! What the hell!? Are they trying to kill us!? Well, I cut it down to 2 cups, and by the taste of it I could have done 1 cup! I also used Whole Wheat Flour for 2 of the 3 1/4 it calls for, and didn't have a lemon on had so I figured it was just for some acidity and used OJ. Oh yea, and I didn't add nuts because of the kids. And even with all those tweaks it was a pleasant surprise! It was a big hit...with everyone!

ZUCCHINI BREAD 
RECIPE
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup water
2 cups grated zucchini
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, nutmeg, baking soda, cinnamon and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine oil, eggs, water, zucchini and lemon juice. Mix wet ingredients into dry, add nuts and fold in. Bake in 2 standard loaf pans, sprayed with nonstick spray, for 1 hour, or until a tester comes out clean. Alternately, bake in 5 mini loaf pans for about 45 minutes.



2 comments:

hungrysmurf said...

OMG that looks yummy! I'm totally going to make this

NAMOWENO said...

The girls love it! It's better with walnuts or pecans! I also make banana bread! It's amazing!